Rice Fish Cakes
Fresh lemons bring zest to these fish cakes while a base of long grain rice makes them extremely satisfying.
- 2 cups chicken stock or water
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- ¾ teaspoon salt, divided
- 3 Sea Best Arrowtooth Flounder Fillets, thawed and diced
- Zest of 3 lemons
- 2 tablespoons parsley
- ¾ cup parmigiano-reggiano cheese, finely grated
- ½ teaspoon cracked pepper
- Oil for sautéing (or bacon fat if you have some on hand)
- 1 package arugula (as a bed for fish cakes)
- Vinaigrette (to toss with arugula)
- Fried eggs (to top fish cakes)
- Cook rice according to package directions with chicken stock and ½ teaspoon salt.
- When rice has finished cooking and is still hot, pour into large bowl and add lemon zest, parsley, fish, remaining ¼ teaspoon of salt, pepper and cheese.
- Stir rice well with a rubber spatula.
- When mixture starts to become sticky, divide mixture evenly and press firmly into a 3-inch biscuit cutter mold.
- Once cakes are molded, heat ¼ inch of oil or bacon fat in a cast iron pan; cook on medium to medium-high heat for 2-3 minutes on each side (or until golden).
- Serve over a bed of arugula tossed in a light vinaigrette; if desired, top with a fried egg and grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese.
Servings: 3 to 6
Chef’s Note: Rice cakes can be stored in the freezer for several weeks before cooking.